The most recent was a dinner party we held for friends from our fred family and few others. The purpose was to remember our friend, David. We chatted, drank wine and gathered for a cajan feast. As we ate, we shared stories about David and the past year. There were tears but there was actually more laughter. It was a rag tag group and yet as the evening flowed we had shared "communion".
Another incident, was with a friend- Bob and I had met her at Starbucks to chat church business but instead we ended up talking about life- real life- god showed up and synergy unfolded- we shared "communion".
A group of friends have been coming over Thursday mornings to collage. We talk and share as we cut out images and we discuss what comes up for us from the images. We share "communion".
Tables and circles- these are the places where I am meeting god - the god in me and the god in others- and that great mystery that comes in and creates beauty out of ordinary events.
I have been in discernment for a while about my faith- faith communities. At times, I really miss my tradition and anglican roots. Sometimes, I get tired of talking heads and planned out worship. For a while, I thought I was just missing liturgy. But then, we visited a couple of liturgical churches and the words kind of freaked me out. After being away from them- I realized that I really didn't believe most of the words. Also, the liturgy felt like another form of being talked at.
Tables and circles- no leaders- no followers- just fellow travelers sharing life. This is the space where I'm sitting right now. The rest just doesn't stir me.
1 comment:
"another form of being talked at" ... there are a lot of those, too many, all around us. i'm tired of that too. beautiful post. thank you.
Post a Comment