Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Death of a parent

I've been thinking about the death of a parent. I cannot imagine it. I talk to my parents most days. It's a touchstone in my life. I hate thinking that they will die one day. Actually, I never think about it.

My parents are healthy and active, but more than that they are my parents---invinsible. This past weekend harshly reminded me that we are alll going to die ---even my parents--- i hate that! I wish I could say that I have resolved to tell them that I love them more or visit more often. They know I love them and I visit pretty often. The bottom line is there isn't any way to avoid death.

For today, I'm thankful for my parents. I pray we have many more years together. My real prayer today is please, please don't ever die.

How childish is that????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife lost her dad this year. He was just 59 and seemingly healthy. His heart knew otherwise. His death was the hardest thing we've ever faced. What hurts us most, I think, is that our two small boys will not know thier granddad.

Scott
http://scotthutcheson.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Lisa, your comment that you hope your parents never die is not childish, but acknowledges how strong human spirit is. You cannot imagine life without them -- and truth be told, they will always be just a memory away.
i'm blog-publishing a book I wrote a long time ago about this, you might want to stop by and read it.
http://doyoustillaughdoyoustillsing.wordpress.com

About Me

Hmmm...Who am I? let's see the facts first. I'm 48 years old, married to my high school sweet heart, Bob. I I'm a mess most of the time, but everyone always thinks I really have it together. I love to listen to people and hear their stories. Art and writing are my spiritual practices. I deeply believe in god and that god is love. My theology is wide and constantly changing. When I was 18 I wrote out 4 pages single spaced on spiritual questions I had about life. I'm not sure I've answered any of them.