Monday, September 12, 2005

A beginning

It was a big weekend.

Our family has been on a journey for the past two years with Bob in seminary. At times it has felt like everything had been rearranged in our life. Disorientation has been one of the primary feelings. For the family it has been especially odd because Bob commutes to seminary so we aren't a part of that community. For many reasons the girls and I have stayed at our home parish and Bob has done his field ed work at St. Marks. We didn't want to uproot the girls from our primary community. This worked okay although church was really never quite the same after Bob stopped attending with us. Mary stopped going. I found myself moving emotionally out of the community. Even Katie seemed to be moving out.

Last night, Bob(and an awesome team) began leading an alternative worship service at St Marks. The girls and I decided we would attend. Honestly, we were thinking that he wouldn't have many people so at least we would fill a few chairs. Well, we were wrong. People kept showing up. They had set up chairs and pillows for about 25 and over 60 people showed up.

The service was very experiential. The band was great. The girls loved it. About halfway through the service Katie went up and stood with Bob as he led the worship. She held so tightly to him. I realized how much she had missed worshipping with him. Mary helped put out chairs, pass out programs. I helped set out candles and create the space. Our family embraced the ministry that we all have been called to on some level.

We went to eat Mexican food after the service and Katie said," I can't wait for next week." Mary mentioned the possiblity of attending youth group. In that moment our family made a move. Quietly over chips and salsa we committed to attend St. Marks with Bob and to be a part of the ministry he feels called to. Slowly, and with intention as a family we are moving forward into the life of ministry. We have no idea where it will take us, but if last night is any indication it will likely be very good.

PS: If you live in the bay area feel free to join us on Sunday nights at 5. You can check out the website www.soscommunity.org for more information.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh such wonderful news for the Carlton Family! I wish I could have been there for the service. You continue to be a shining example of a family in transition and I praise you for your courage and dedication to our Lord.
Love
Ann Annie

About Me

Hmmm...Who am I? let's see the facts first. I'm 48 years old, married to my high school sweet heart, Bob. I I'm a mess most of the time, but everyone always thinks I really have it together. I love to listen to people and hear their stories. Art and writing are my spiritual practices. I deeply believe in god and that god is love. My theology is wide and constantly changing. When I was 18 I wrote out 4 pages single spaced on spiritual questions I had about life. I'm not sure I've answered any of them.